Wednesday 31 May 2017

Coffins and Clowns

The following blog details the journey our family went through after our second child was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis. It is heavy but it is also important. Authenticity is important, honesty is important. It’s important for people to know that I went through this, but it’s also important for people to know that I am doing fine now. As outlined in the blog we were able to access help early and put strategies in place to restore and maintain my mental health.

This experience has taught me so much, and there will be more blogs as a result of it. But for now, here’s what happened….

Tuesday May 2nd 2017

0630 The vomiting started on Sunday night. Just small amounts at first, gradually increasing in volume and force. I told myself it wasn’t happening again, he’s just a spilly baby, nothing to worry about.

I have just given Eric his morning feed and am sitting in bed burping him. The vomit is huge and powerful. It covers my neck and chest and spreads through my hair. Some hits the wall behind our bed.

I calmly take Eric next door and place him on the change table. Then I run to the lounge and scream for Jeff.

“He has it Jeff, he has it too, I can’t go through this again. I..”

I break off at this point and run to the bathroom to do some vomiting of my own.

0715 Jeff is on the phone to our midwife..

“Kate thinks he might have pyloric stenosis, but I mean he can’t can he? The chances are so… mmmhmm… ok, yeah, sure, ok, thank you, bye”

He turns to me, “she thinks we should go to ED.”

1000 The doctor smiles down at our son.

“He’s not dehydrated and his blood tests are all perfect, it could just be that he’s a refluxy baby. We will do the abdominal ultrasound given the history with his brother but he might be alright.”

As much as I want to accept this glimmer of hope, I can’t quite bring myself to do it.

1215 Jeff walks in to the room holding Eric, who has just had his abdominal ultrasound.

“It’s confirmed, you were right, definitely pyloric stenosis.”

I burst into tears. Sometimes I hate being right.

1500 Eric is being strapped into his little ambulance bed. He is crying because he has just had his nasogastric tube reinserted after he pulled the first one out.   

“Are you all right?” the ambulance driver asks me. “You look like you’re in pain.”

“My son is” I reply, “it’s the same thing.”

1630 Gazing unseeingly out the ambulance window, this is when the bad thoughts start.

I am wondering when I will get to see Conrad again, how long we will have to be away. If there are complications after the surgery it could be a long time.

I would rather Eric die than have complications, I think, I could get back to Conrad sooner, and I would get some sleep again.

I hate myself as soon as I think it.

And then I think maybe it would be better if the ambulance crashed on the way to Starship and we are all killed. I deserve to die for thinking such a horrible thing.

And dead people get to sleep.

2230 I am lying in bed at Ronald McDonald House, but I am not sleeping. I am thinking that I am a terrible mother. That I don’t deserve my loving husband or beautiful sons. That perhaps they would all be better off without me.

Wednesday 3rd May

0830 “Do you want to give your Eric one last cuddle before he goes to theatre” the nurse asks.

“No.” I reply. “He’s fine.”

The nurse looks a little shocked

“We’ve been through all this before with our first” Jeff says in an attempt to explain my behaviour.

“I see.” Says the theatre nurse.

She doesn’t.

0945 Jeff and I are sitting in the Auckland domain, watching a high school PE class from the local all-boys school.

I know that one day Eric and Conrad will be that age. I wonder what they will be like. I wonder if I’ll love them better by then, if I’ll be good enough to deserve them.

2215 I am thinking about Robert Lee Yates, the American serial killer who murdered almost twenty woman and had a wife at home who never suspected a thing.

Humans have an immense capacity for hiding things. I am doing it right now. I’m sure Eric’s nurse, who I have been making appropriate small talk with since she came on, has no idea that I’ve been thinking about ways to seriously hurt myself but make it look like an accident. That way I could be in hospital for several weeks and get a break from my children without feeling guilty about it.

I am also thinking of a classic Pink song.

Doctor doctor won’t you please prescribe me something? A day in the life of someone else.

Don’t let me get me.

Thursday 4th - Saturday 6th May

These are good days, and the thoughts disappear for a while. Eric recovers amazingly well after his surgery and we are allowed to go home a day early. We are reunited with Conrad and get to sleep in our own bed.

Except I don’t sleep much, because Eric is catching up from being nil by mouth and feeding every one – two hours. The relief of being home and Eric being ok is keeping me going, but that can only last so long…

Sunday May 7th

0300 I am dreaming I am walking up to the Tutukaka Lighthouse. The sun is shining, it’s a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky. I stand admiring the view for a while, then I jump off the cliff.

I land on the rocks at the bottom. It doesn’t hurt. I turn my head and there is an open coffin next to me. The clown from Stephen King’s It (the book I am currently trying to get through before the movie comes out in September) is standing next to it, holding a bunch of helium balloons in one hand, pointing to the coffin with the other. I stand up and walk towards it. Inside are pillows and a duvet.

Hop in Kate, says the clown, you can sleep as long as you want…

Eric’s hungry cries wake me up.

Jeff stirs too, so I tell him about my dream.

“Kate, that’s a horrible thing to dream!” he says, sounding genuinely concerned.

But it wasn’t horrible Jeff, it was lovely, I finally got to sleep.”

0700 “Kate, that dream you had last night, you’re not actually thinking about doing that are you?”

I can’t be alone with these thoughts any longer, so I tell Jeff everything. I tell him the horrible thoughts I had about Eric in the ambulance, that I’ve been thinking of hurting myself just to get a break, that I sometimes think him and the boys would be better off if I wasn’t here.

“That’s ridiculous Kate! You know that’s not true.”

To be honest Jeff I’m so exhausted I don’t know what’s true anymore.”

“But hurting yourself, or worse… Kate surely you know that’s a terrible idea!?”

“It doesn’t seem so terrible to me right now.”

Jeff looks terrified.

I am too.

0830 Our midwife has arrived to complete Eric’s 6 week check and discharge us from her care, little does she know what she is about to walk into. My husband is clearly extremely concerned, and he tells her everything. He uses the word suicidal. I close my eyes.

Telling a health professional you or someone you know is suicidal has consequences. They are duty bound to document it and follow it through. I know this will forever be a black mark against my name. That whenever anyone looks up my health records they will see that in May 2017 Kathleen Burson was suffering suicidal ideation.

Our midwife rings the community mental health crisis team and arranges for me to be assessed. I have never been so embarrassed and ashamed, but I am also extremely relieved. I know I need help.

Monday May 8th

The man who works for the crisis team is lovely. He has a firm handshake and good eye contact. He is unhurried, as if he has all the time in the world for us, and his voice is deep and calm and slow. I immediately trust him and feel like I can tell him everything. So I do.

I tell him that over the last twenty months I have had two major surgeries and watched both my sons go through surgeries of their own at Starship. I tell him about my dad dying. I tell him about Conrad’s visits in and out of hospital, and the time he collapsed in the middle of the lounge and we thought he might have a brain tumour. I tell him that the longest amount of consecutive sleep I have had in the last six weeks is three hours. I tell him that with being heavily pregnant over the middle of summer and then having a new-born, I can’t remember the last time I had a quality night’s sleep. I tell him that I feel as though we have been dealt so many shitty hands that I am always a little on edge, waiting for the next bad thing to happen.

He asks me the usual safety questions, am I hearing voices commanding me to do things? Am I experiencing visual hallucinations? Do I struggle to feel happy about anything?

I answer no to all of these. I tell him that I don’t think I’m depressed, and that I don’t really want to hurt myself, I’m just so incredibly tired.

His diagnosis is the same as mine. He doesn’t think I need medication or treatment. Rather I have had “for want of a better word, a bit of a meltdown” due to “significant situational stress” and sleep deprivation.

We discuss coping strategies, the importance of asking for and accepting help, and by the end of it all I feel so much better.

I don’t know if writing about something so personal and putting it on the internet is a good idea. I have a whole folder of things I have written that I will probably never show anyone else. Above anything else the main reason I write is for myself. There’s an old song lyric that goes if I get it all down on paper it’s no longer inside of me, threatening the life it belongs to. For me writing is like that.

Maybe this blog should have stayed hidden away in that folder and never seen the light of day. But I don’t think so. I think someone needs to read it. Someone needs to know that this stuff, these meltdowns, these ‘coffin and clown’ moments, they can happen to anyone. It is nothing to be ashamed of, no one will think any less of you, and there is help out there for you.

I am so glad my husband asked me again about that dream come the morning, because it forced me to talk about how I was feeling. I am so glad my midwife had two people go into labour on Saturday so she had to come on Sunday morning instead, because it forced us to get help. I don’t know what would have happened if everything had played out differently. I’m glad I will never know.

Which brings me to my next point. If there is someone in your life who you are concerned about, ask them about it. If you’re not satisfied with their answer, ask them again.

Life is beautiful but it can also be incredibly hard.

Look out for each other dear readers.

God bless xx

Where to get help


Lifeline – 0800 543 354

Suicide Crisis Helpline (open 24/7) – 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)

Depression Helpline (open 24/7) – 0800 111 757








1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Kate :) There are hundreds in your soes too afraid to come outside

    ReplyDelete