Thursday 14 April 2016

The curious case of Clinton Randell

I’m all for Christianity, and religion in general, being better portrayed by the media. So when Clinton Randell was announced as Mike Puru’s replacement on the The Edge Breakfast show, I was pretty excited. A Christian in a prime time slot on one of the nation’s most popular radio stations - this could only mean good things.

But, after I thought about it a little more, I started to wonder how he was going to cope.

The last time I heard The Edge Breakfast discuss anything remotely religious was when they interviewed Christine Weick. I say interviewed, it was more harassment and bullying than anything else. Christine made headlines last year when a video of her accusing Katy Perry’s dad of producing satanic offspring went viral. I had a problem with this “interview” for two reasons. Firstly, Christine Weick is not a Christian. She believes she is, but she also believes it’s ok to make signs that say “Thank your mum today for not being gay.” Interviewing Christine as an example of Christianity is like interviewing Jihadi John as an example of Islam. It’s not fair, and giving these people air time only leads to a more divisive and intolerant society. Secondly, despite the fact that Christine is clearly not a very nice person, by the end of the interview I actually felt sorry for her. When she tearfully declared “I can see you’ve only called to mock me” before muttering something about the state of their immortal souls and finally hanging up, I found myself incensed on her behalf. What would the impressionable young Edge listener take from this dialogue? All Christians are crazy, and it’s funny and socially acceptable to treat them like crap.

Still, by replacing Mike with a Christian, surely Jay Jay and Dom don’t really believe that? They must be totally ok with having a religious co-host.

Hmm, maybe not.  

It seems every time I tune in to the Edge someone is making a subtle dig at Randell. Last time I listened Jay Jay was reading ‘scandal’ and said “Lorde, not the Lord Randell is in to, …” Really? Is that a necessary distinction? Did she really think her listeners would confuse pop star Lorde with our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ and think he’d been spotted leaving a party with Diplo? Still, this is the station that thinks people won’t realise Clinton and Clint from the afternoon show aren’t the same person, so maybe she did feel the need to specify.

Maybe this is just a coincidence though, maybe these are isolated events and because I listen so infrequently I’m getting the wrong impression.

I decided to listen to a full week of podcasts to see if I was right.

Then I remembered I am a working mum of an eight month old and I don’t have that kind of time in my life.

I decided I’d listen to three podcasts.

Then I realised they were roughly two hours each.

Ok, one podcast! If they can get through one podcast without making a dig at Randell I will take it all back.

I listened to their entire podcast from April 1st 2016.

Two minutes in, yes, literally TWO MINUTES IN, here’s what happened.

Dom: “How are you feeling about your world record attempt today?”

Randell: “Pretty nervous! I threw out a couple of prayers on the way to work.”

Jay Jay: “Oh for goodness sake.”

Dom: *laughing* “Did you rub your Saint Christopher on the dashboard? That sounds way dirtier than it actually is!”

And just like that Jay Jay has implied praying is a childish waste of time, and Dom, unsurprisingly, has turned it into a sex joke.

Despite this horrendous start, the rest of the show is fairly unremarkable. Then we get to a segment called “Breakin’ Bree”, where the team are aiming to “break in” the new receptionist whose name lends itself to a snazzy radio segment. Randell questioned if the point of the exercise was to make Bree cry, which, given what he has to put up with every day, is a reasonable question.

Dom responds: “I don’t know what sort of hijinks you got up to on that religious station Life FM, but that’s not how we roll around here!”

A throw away comment. Fairly harmless, but with the subtle implication that all Christians are of the Christine Weick ilk.

This podcast, teamed with the random snippets I hear in the car, suggest that this taunting of Randell is a regular occurrence. They are always met with a friendly chuckle from his end. Does he notice? Does he care? Does he consider the wider implications?

Randell was last seen doing body shots off Dom in Rarotonga, so perhaps not.

I loved that a Christian was given such a high profile media position, but I am starting to wonder if it’s doing more harm than good. These casual yet derogatory comments cannot continue to go on unchecked.

Randell, please, take some advice from an indie pop ballad that most people have probably forgotten about but whose lyrics happen to apply perfectly to this situation.

Say something.

You’re Christian listeners are giving up on you.

Say something.

No comments:

Post a Comment