Thursday 23 February 2017

Show me first

So, Family First, and by association traditional Judeo-Christian values, have well and truly hit the media spotlight this week.

I’ve been reading material from both sides of the debate and to be honest I think both arguments suck.

Why? Because both sides are using young teenage girls to represent them and their views which, in my opinion, puts them in a very vulnerable and unfair position. Some of the online comments are truly disgusting.

“It’s not like anyone would want to assault that f*cking ugly bitch anyway.”

“It should just be thankful it’s allowed to attend an all-girls school when it’s got a dick.”

Exposing either girl to this idiocy and bullying is a horrible way to get your point across. Do we need to have discussions around this issue? Absolutely. But unless these discussions can be conducted in a civil and respectful manner, preferably without identifying specific cases and sacrificing the people involved on the altar of social media, they will achieve very little. 

Lately it seems whenever anything remotely to do with Christianity or Christian values has come up in the media it has gone terribly. I find it very disheartening.

Yesterday was my last day at work before maternity leave. The hospital was chaos, as overnight five young men had presented to our emergency department with serious gunshot wounds. It is always a shock when something like this happens so close to home, and it served to remind me of the huge amount of hurting and practical need our society has. Not just in my town, in yours too.

As Christians, we are called to meet these needs. Are we also called to
defend and make known our beliefs and values? Sure. But I’m inclined to agree with Cory Brooker when he says…

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all his children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about through your compassion for your neighbours. In the end, I’m not as interested in what you have to tell me or sell as I am in how you choose to live and give.

Family First do some good stuff, but all it takes is one poorly executed campaign for all of it to be overshadowed.

Personally, I think us “religious nutjobs” need to be doing less speaking and preaching and more going out there and doing. Just quietly going about our business and getting on with the mission we are tasked with, loving others as ourselves.

Sure, Simon Dallow and Mike Hosking might not notice.

But that 14 year old who lives next door and is currently being propositioned to join a gang might.

And maybe that’s more important.
























No comments:

Post a Comment