Saturday 5 September 2015

What's in a name - the story behind Conrad James


One of the perks of reproducing, some days it feels like the only perk, is getting to choose a name for your child.



The accountant and I took this process very seriously. You see, we don’t believe you should pick a name just because you like it. Don’t get me wrong, liking your chosen name is fairly essential. But when I ask people why they chose their child’s name and their response is “oh, we just both liked it”, well, it’s kind of anticlimactic, and frankly a little boring. So, below is the story of where Conrad James comes from.



Most people’s first reaction when we tell them our baby is named Conrad is “Is that like an All Black crush thing?” While Conrad Smith does present as one of the more intelligent and articulate AB’s, the fact is that Chris Robshaw, captain of the English team, makes the entire All Black squad look like a pack of gorillas. However, that being said, Conrad Smith was the original inspiration for the name. Him and Ben, one of oldest and dearest friends. Throughout my pregnancy Ben suggested literally at least a hundred names, and the list compromised entirely of cricket, rugby union and NBA players. 



Eventually the name Conrad came up, and I remember thinking “hmm, Conrad is actually a pretty cool name”. I glanced over at the accountant, and I could tell by the look on his face that he was thinking the same.



The next step was to look up the meaning of Conrad. You see, no matter how much we liked a name, if it had a weak or irrelevant meaning, it was immediately scrapped. As Christians, we believe that there is a lot of power in a person’s name. In the Bible, names are very significant, and a lot of thought was given to their meaning. We wanted to find a name that we not only liked the sound of, but that had a strong meaning as well.



Sometimes this was hard. For example, the accountant and I both really liked the name Philippa until we discovered it meant ‘lover of horses’. Unfortunately, we both have a completely irrational yet deep seated hatred of horses. The accountant hates them because he thinks they are a complete waste of money and he can’t stand following horse floats on the motorway. I dislike them for the same reason I’m not really a cat person, neither cats nor horses seem to have any comprehension of their place in the food chain. I’ve seen some nasty horse related injuries come through the hospital and every time I think ‘How fricking dare you horse! Do you not realise it only takes one bullet?’ But the horse people never seem to mind that their beloved pet has just shattered every bone in their foot or whatever. I just don’t get it at all.



Anyway, sad as it was, Philippa had to go. For us to produce a lover of horses would be a complete travesty.



Happily, Conrad has an excellent meaning, ‘brave counsel’. In other words, someone who isn’t afraid to tell it like it is. Our prayer for Conrad is that when he is our age, he will be the guy his mates go to for advice. That he will be wise enough to know what’s right, and brave enough to say it.



His middle name James is after my Grandfather. He died long before I was born, but he is very special to my Grandma, and she is very special to me. We also happen to have several friends who have James as part of their name, so it fits in well.



Whether or not Conrad will turn out to be a wise and honest person is yet to be seen. I find the responsibility of ensuring he turns out to be a decent human being quite overwhelming when I dwell on it too much. So, for now I am focusing on the little things, like trying to stop him feeding too much and then vomiting his entire stomach contents in to my bra.



Yep. Parenting.



Such fun.










No comments:

Post a Comment